Monday, February 23, 2009

Way to fix the world #1 - Stop petitions, especially online petitions!

Petitions are annoying. People who push their petitions are annoying. Even most of the topics are annoying. When I see a clipboard-toting canvaser on the street, my first thought is, "Get a real job hippie," and my second thought is, "Oh shit, I hope I didn't make eye-contact." The reason I hate these people is not because they have a cause (real or imagined) but because they are intent on thrusting their crappy cause on me and other innocent passers by who want nothing more than to get to the grocery store safely so we can all go home and push the sofa in front of the door to avoid having to deal with the morons outside especially the ones toting petitions. And why? Because I know their petition does not matter and will not help the alleged cause; it will only waste my time and make then feel bad when I straight-arm them and keep walking.

Even if I may have the slightest inclination to agree with their topic, the moment someone says, "Do you have a minute to save the ____ (Insert cause -obese baby seals/ gay whales/ thumbless, left-handed wii players in Tibet/whatever)?" Then, all of a sudden, I really don't have time. I don't want the literature. I don't want to sign anything. If I once cared, asking me to sign a petition which will do nothing but waste my time killed the caring in me.

It may make them feel that they are making a difference but they aren't. This is to the eighth power for online petitions. Online petitions are started by attention whores and signed by naive do-gooders who don't know enough about the world to know that nobody in the real world cares about their stupid petition even if it makes them feel good to champion whatever the cause, e.g. The character of the Joker will not be retired because Heath Ledger died. The 20K+ morons who passionately signed the online petition are funny but sad. Deal with it, slacktivists.

A great article at snopes: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment